What Is a Postgraduate Loan?
While pursuing a postgraduate master's degree, you may need financial assistance with your tuition and living expenses. Students can apply for a masters student loan which is a government loan and has flexible repayment options and fair conditions. Government postgraduate loans can help students bridge the financial gap that often arises so they can achieve their educational goals.
You can borrow as low as £11,222 and as much as £11,836 for your postgraduate degree completion. You need to meet certain criteria in order to be considered for the loan.
Who Can Qualify For a Postgraduate Loan?
To be specific, there are some qualifying requirements to be considered for the loan:
- You will not be eligible if you started your master's before August 1, 2016.
- You must be less than 60 years old on or before the first day of classes of each academic year of the following year.
- You won't be able to get the loan if you already have a master's degree or a higher degree, even if it wasn't from a UK university.
- Your degree must equate to a level 7 qualification, earning 180 credits in total.
- The degree programme should be no longer than four years in length.
- If you are able to apply for a bursary, you will not be eligible for the postgraduate loan.
- You must have resided in the UK for a minimum of three years prior to the commencement of your degree before you may be eligible.
How Much Can You Borrow For a Postgraduate Loan?
Postgraduate Master's Loans are available to students who are beginning a master's degree and need financial assistance with course fees and living expenses. In contrast to undergraduate loans, postgraduate student loans do not consider your family's income when determining eligibility. You may be eligible for a certain amount of funding depending on when your course began.
- If your study begins on or after August 1, 2022, you can expect to get £11,836.
- If your study begins between August 1, 2021, and July 31, 2022, you can expect to get £11,570.
- If your study begins between August 1, 2020, and July 31, 2021, you can expect to get £11,222.
It's also important to keep in mind that no matter how long you study, you'll only be eligible for a certain amount, and you'll just have to spread it out over a number of years rather than a single year.
How Does the Repayment of a Postgraduate Loan Work?
Repayment is only possible if you reach an earning threshold of £21,000 or more per year. Employers deduct a specific proportion of your wages in order to cover the debt you owe. If you never acquire a job that pays more than the threshold, you won't owe a penny. If you're self-employed, you'll have to pay back your student loan, in the same manner that you pay your taxes. If you are self-employed and have failed to pay, the SLC will attempt to contact you. After 30 years have elapsed since graduating from college, you are no longer obligated to pay the loan.
Want a Short Term, Small Amount Loan Option?
It is common for students to find themselves in a financial bind and need to acquire an additional textbook or take a field trip etc. Consequently, numerous direct lenders in the United Kingdom now provide short-term loans, particularly geared for students.
At UKBadCreditLoans, you may find reliable short-term, small amount lenders quickly. As a credit broker, we aren't in the business of immediately lending you money. Instead, we quickly connect you with a variety of UK-based lenders.
The most important thing for students is to be aware that these loans must be returned by any means on time. It is not recommended if the student borrows risky loans regarding their repayment. As a result, we urge that any student who is considering taking out a loan must be sure they can afford the repayments when they are due.
Looking to Borrow Money Easily?
Representative Example: Rates from 43.1% APR to 1333% APR. Minimum Loan Length is 1 month. Maximum Loan Length is 36 months. Representative Example: £1,200 borrowed for up to 75 days. Total amount repayable is: £1506. Interest charged is 0.34% per day, amounting to £306, annual interest rate of 124% (variable). Representative APR: 49.7% (variable).
The Student Loans Company is currently accepting applications for completing their post-graduate degrees. However, if faced with a short-term financial crisis, students can turn to UKBadCreditLaons for short-term cash assistance with compulsory repayment. It is not advised to apply for this short-term, low-amount loan if repayment is challenging for the student.